20050406

Analog Day

It was sunny outside today. Sunny and warm. A Beautiful Day.

My lifebook (not the fujitsu laptop, but the notebook I keep around with me at all times) has been full for a moment now. Actually, the last week of school we had before the strike (that's 5 weeks ago now), my book was almost overflowing with notes. I have been transfering the reflexive duties in a sketchbook for a while already but the need for a new notebook kept coming back. While browsing Flickr's What's In Your Bag pool, I often saw a little black thing tagged 'Moleskine'. Curious, I finally googled the expression this morning. Found a ton of information on the legendary notebook and saw it as a sign: I Had To Get One. Did some research and found a store that kept the whole line in stock.

In 2002, Emilie gave me, for my birthday, a beautiful writing book (in which I've been writing poetry for three years now) and a pen. I'm usually not a fan of pens, but that one seduced me in a flash. However, the ink tank of the pen slowly became empty and thus the pen sat there unused. It occured to me today that I could just go and buy a refill for it.

So, at about 1:30pm, I left my flat. Jazz and bossa nova music playing on my iPod. I took the bus to a photo store and bought two rolls of slide film. I had not shot a single analog frame in slightly more than a month and was aching to use film again. Took the metro and, while in transit, loaded my camera with a roll of slidefilm. Came out at Laurier station and walked down St. Denis street. I took various shots of the street kind. Stopped at L'essence du papier to check if they might, by any chance have the pen refill I was looking for. They did. I also browsed for Moleskines but only found the ruled version which is not the one I wanted. One item found, one to go.

Approximatively knowing where the store that carried the whole series was, I kept walking, in the sunshine, still listening to music. I kept finding stuff to shoot. Just embracing this topographying of found items and objects and scenes. Enjoying it, even. It felt just so good.

After a bit of walking, I was close to the target store, but couldn't find the elusive street. I asked many people and got a lof of helpful replies. I found the street, walked it up and then down, not finding the store. I went to it again and finally saw it, I had just missed it the first time. Came in and went to the Moleskine display. I was completely smitten. Having manipulated and touched the various offerings, I opted for the squared notebook. Bought it and left the store. Then I slowly made my way back to the flat, finishing my roll of film along the way.

To have a new notebook with me (I have a bit of a notebook fetish (not in the sexual sense)) and having my favourite pen working again is incentive to write more, to work harder on my writing. Embrace the analogic.

No comments: