20050403

Am I In A Rut?

I've been asking myself that question. More specifically where photography is concerned. I am not too sure where I'm going with this. I have no idea if I'll be admitted in photography or not. If not, I have decided that, as a plan B and safety net, I'd do a technical DEC in computer science. I often thought about doing that and never actually did it. Maybe this time will be the time to do it, maybe, like all the previous instances of me actually selecting computer science as a plan B, the situation will clear itself out and make way for what was the plan A all along... I just have to be patient enough to find that one out...

As for the actual thinking of me being in a photographic rut, it's because I am not shooting as much as I was in january, february and early march. I am also less inspired. I'm in street photo mode, just looking for details to capture, not planning or actually having a concept behind the shooting. Everytime I hit inspiration zero, on whatever the medium, I begin to ask myself: was I really talented after all? Was all this a fluke, just a promising streak that faded the way it was meant to?

Am I In A Rut?

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Don't be so hard upon yourself, I would say.

We all, especially artists, have these moments. If we didn't, we wouldn't improve, and we wouldn't be good artists, now would we?

you'll get over this, and your frustration is a part of it all.

I've been dealing with the same circumstance, and I've been finding a way to justify my street photography in the periods between my tablaeux or conceptual shoots.

I feel that street photography is like doodling is to artists (or freewriting is to writers). You have to get these thoughts out in your medium and keep polishing the blade, so to speak, while your at it. Then, just piece things together, keep things down in a journal and/or sketchbook (I personally use both) and take inspiration from everything in life. Also, never be afraid to steal ideas from other artists, we all have to get our inspiration from someplace, and it's best if we draw from our peers. I'm not advocating replicating the same exact photo, but pick and choose from the world. For example, you might see a picture of a bunny in a Mark Ryden piece and then go "I really want to use a bunny!" and you can maybe shoot a piece with a bunny in it, make a print, and paint over the bunny as you please.

Photography can be whatever you want it to be, and while it has it's limitations, don't be afraid to explore.

Essentially, just remember that the world is your playground of inspiration. Don't be afraid to be hard upon your work. If you get things out of your head, it'll be clear enough for your next shoot, I think.

Good luck, we both need it ;)

P.S. Pardon for the ramble, haha, this is tricky subject I've been dealing through and I thought I might as well lend my thoughts.