20050615

Unsent

iTunes is always set to shuffle all the songs in my library.
Today it's rainy outside, grey skies, wind. The most beautiful weather.

I am sitting in front of my computer and iTunes just started playing Unsent (the song by Alanis Morissette). This has got me thinking about someone I left a week and a half ago.

I had met him through the internet. We went for a beer and ended up chatting for 7 hours straight. Then, he accompanied me to see Monade's concert in Montreal, as I was going alone and he knew about Stereolab. We had dinner before, then went to the concert (where I just could not stop grinning and smiling, being so happy to see one of my favourite acts up close and personal), then went for a beer and chatted again until 2 am. He dropped me off home and I kissed him.

And so began a bit of a relationship. I would see him, we would call one another or just chat on MSN. Things were great. I even did a photoshoot with him. I was glad to have found someone so interesting to spent time with.

Then, one tuesday afternoon, while I was working, Benoit came to see me at work. I didn't expect that. He brought me back my CDs and a book I had lent him. Told me some stuff that I honestly don't remember because I was just so affected. I could hardly breathe, I was shaking, my heart was beating like I had just ran for miles. His visit lasted five minutes and, for the rest of that day, I felt terribly unwell.

I started wondering why I was so shaken, why it had affected me so much. I kept on seeing the new person, but something was wrong. It took me a couple of days to understand.

It finally hit me: I need to be alone. I can't begin a relationship if I'm still recovering from the past one. I can't begin a new chapter without completely finishing the one prior.

A week and a half ago, I went with the new man for a chat on a terrasse, as we often did. Then we took a walk. At the Old Port, I started telling him about my need to be alone. Thus began the breakup process. In a sense, it was the most peaceful breakup I have ever experienced. After that, I was about to take the metro, but no, he drove me home anyway. I got out of the car and he told me something incredibly bittersweet, along the lines of "you should take my disappointment as a compliment". Two days later, we came on an agreement to delete one another from our MSN lists, just for the meantime. For him to heal and reflect on what had happened. I understand that need and respect it.

It's been a week since that last MSN conversation. And upon hearing that Alanis Morissette song, I felt compelled to write a little something about him. About that beautiful relationship that I just wasn't ready for. About this great great guy and beautiful soul, the person I could listen to for hours on end. About an incredibly smart, witty and beautiful man.

If you're reading this, I just hope that you are well. Prends bien soin de toi et merci pour tout, vraiment tout.

1 comment:

Magique said...

I don't know if he reads. But this post is so moving.

"About this great great guy and beautiful soul, the person I could listen to for hours on end. About an incredibly smart, witty and beautiful man."

I sure would more than appreciate, someone talking about me in those terms.

Je te souhaite de guérir vite et bien Oli. Et je suis persuadée que la vie ne ratera pas l'occasion de mettre à nouveau sur ton chemin des personnes fabuleuses, quand le moment sera venu :)