20090611

Africa

There's something rather peculiar to knowing you are leaving. Especially knowing that you're leaving for an uncertain amount of time, a year or more. Six months ago I never would've expected such a thing to happen. Yet here I am, about three to four weeks away from departure to an entirely new adventure.

I got a job as a photographer/retoucher in Africa, for a studio/agency. How insane is that? Very insane, I would say. Especially for silly little me, the one who used to always change his mind about everything, the one who used to be scared of his own shadow.

I remember back in 2003 when I was just on the verge of beginning my certificate in visual arts at Sherbrooke University, Darién told me something that stuck with me. Quoting Lost In Translation, he said that, much like Bob was for Charlotte, he wasn't worried about me. That I would find my path. That I just had to stick with it for long enough and that life would lead me (I'm paraphrasing here, but you get the idea). And here we are.

There's so much yet to do:
  • move out of my apartment
  • get my visa for the Ivory Coast
  • receive all the vaccines requiered(about 6, altogether)
  • see friends at least one last time
  • get together with the whole family one last time
  • pack
  • determine which cameras I'll be bringing
  • acquire some equipment
  • replace my dying iPod (as much as I truly want to discover new cultures, I'll die if I just get to listen to Ivorian music)
  • ideally shoot and edit another short movie
  • cancel my gym membership
  • switch or cancel my mobile phone plan
  • finish shooting the third roll of film and send the three rolls to Tik Lun for our joint art project
  • enjoy every second possible
  • meet with my great uncle and great aunt so they can tell me their stories of when they lived in Africa
  • hug people and tell them I love them
  • have as many yoga sessions as possible
  • start a travel blog

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff here, but that's just a general list. More will come up, in time.

1 comment:

Darién said...

check me out, the wise one. the good thing about yapping away like a madman is that odds are you'll get it right every now and then. ah, cote d'ivoire. they have a huge-ass cathedral there, no? and a capital city with a huge-ass long name. i'm still traumatized from my tenth-grade geography classes.