20060221

Sometimes

I realise that sometimes I have very little to say. It's very much ironic, as from what my mother told me, as a child I never ever would shut up. Only when I went to sleep would I bathe in total silence. Also, up until not very long ago I had a complete intolerence to silence. It would drive me completely nuts. As a kid, if there was a power outage leaving the house noise-less, I would become frightened and start screaming.

Nowadays, though, it's a completely different matter. Some days, I will only communicate when it's really needed, otherwise I'll stay in my little bubble. This applies to a lot of things.

I haven't written any poetry in a while. I used to be able to find topics quite easily and would scribble down things here and there. Now, it seems I'm unable to do that. I have lost the way of the word, or so I feel. However, I was told by my former writing teacher that those dry spells are part of what writing is and that you just have to live them through. It's still a bit crazy because when that dryness hits, nothing can make me believe that I'll never be able to write another word again.

A good example of this drought: yesterday, I spent the whole day playing guitar. I ended up finding four chords that worked really well together and that fit the moment I was bathing in. I tried singing things, but nothing worked. I couldn't find the exact topic and the exact phrasing to go along with that feeling. Thing is, I have a lot of topics to sing about, messages that I would like to put down and send across. I wrote down the chords and left the song in embryo to it's current state. Bare skeleton, no melody, no words...

It's all frustrating though, as I formerly studied writing in college.

No comments: