20050815

I Hope She Made It Safely Home

I went for a beer with an acquaintance of mine. I came back home taking the last metro and then a late bus. It was about 1:30 am as I got off at the stop three blocks away from my apartment. From afar, I could see people walking in a weird fashion. I didn't pay much attention to it since there are two bars in those three blocks. But as I got closer, I noticed that it wasn't so much drunken walking as some sort of fighting going on. About a block and a half away, I just stopped and stared. It was a man and a woman. The man forcing the woman to do something. Him shaking her, throwing her to the ground, her trying to get away and him using brute force on her. I think I saw him hitting her. I was just standing there, not doing anything, just staring, with my headphones off my head. The man looked in my direction and saw me. Without thinking, I just turned around and walked back to the boulevard. I heard some form of shouting, then the sound of car doors being slammed shut and a car starting fast. I turn around to have a look and there was no one on the sidewalk, just the car driving really fast in the opposite direction.

I went to a corner store, bought something and then came out. There was a policecar parked next to the corner store. It was still there after I came out of the corner store. I didn't say anything and just walked back to my flat.

I hope what I saw wasn't what I think it was. I hope it was just a man trying to help a drunken woman in the car for her not to hurt herself. There's no way for me to be sure of that though. I feel like in the movie Blow Up, where the main character is blowing up the image of what might or might have not been a murder and, ultimately, never find out. I don't know if I could have done anything to help, to make sure the woman was safe...

I hope she made it safely home.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Eep; Intense.

Likewise sentiments, have you seen this sort of stuff around where you live before?

Oli said...

No, never. There has been some neighbours shouting at one another and my building is populated by insane, lifeless people, but I've never seen anything like that happening near here before...